Attorney at Law / Patent Attorney
Tel: +86 10 8572 8345
● Patent Prosecution
● Patent Litigation
● Commercial IP Matters
Having served clients of diversified profiles in multiple industries, Mr. Huang is fluent in patent and industrial design prosecution, litigation and commercial IP matters. He always advises his clients from a practical, businesssensible standpoint and enjoys delivering satisfactory results to his clients in a cost-efficient manner.
After obtaining his master’s degree in computer science from Tsinghua University, Mr. Huang commenced his IP career in 2003 at Beijing East IP Intellectual Property Agency Ltd., starting with patent prosecution before quickly extending his professional spectrum to cover litigation and commercial matters. His first litigation case and first major commercial IP matter both involved American Fortune 500 companies, which gave him strong exposure to the coveted value of IP rights for companies in this knowledge-based era.
Mr. Huang joined the Hong Kong office of Baker & McKenzie in 2005. Since then, aside from a one-year break to pursue his LL.M degree at the University of Pennsylvania, he has steadily deepened his skillset and insights on how to approach legal matters from a practical and result-oriented perspective. At Baker & McKenzie, Mr. Huang’s practice was very diversified, covering patents, industrial designs, copyrights, Internet issues, trade secrets, prosecution, litigation, transactions and various advisory work for clients of varying profiles in terms of size, culture and industry.
Recent matters handled by David include:
● Drafting patent applications and advising on global patent strategy for a Hong Kong company in the petro/coal-chemical and green energy industry.
● Managing the global filing and prosecution strategy for a Hong Kong start-up company in the medical device industry.
● Managing the prosecution of the Chinese patent portfolio for a US computer chip maker
● Managing the prosecution of the global patent portfolio for an India container technology company
● Managing the prosecution of design patents in China for various fashion and health-care brands
● Advising a US computer maker in the defense of a patent infringement suit
● Advising a Taiwan semiconductory fab in the defense of a patent infringement suit
● Advsing a Swedish heavy industry company in investigation and enforcement of its patents against various local infringers
● Advising a US fashion brand in a series of design patent invalidity cases
● Advising a US company in the enviromental protection industry in a complex trade secret and patent ownership litigation
● Advising a Norwegian company in a criminal action against a former employee on trade secret theft and employment embezzlement.
● Advising major originator pharmaceutical companies on various patent related regulatory and non-contentious matters
● Advising a Hong Kong investment company on the negotiation of a equipment purchase agreement with a Chinese state-owned company regarding potential infringement risk and in the freedom-to-operate analysis in Vietnam for a major project
● Advising a Hong Kong company on the drafting and negotiation of a R&D agreement with a Chinese state-owned research entity in the electric furnace industry
● Advising a French company on IP issues for a potential joint venture project involving civil aviation technologies
● Advising a US chemical company on the freedom-to-operate analysis for a major chemical project in China
● Advising a Russian company on the freedom-to-operate analysis for a major chemical project in China
● Tsinghua University, B.E (1999) and M.E (2002)
● University of Pennsylvania Law School, LL.M degree (with distinction) (2010)
● Chinese, English